The New Zealand Business Women's Network is working in conjunction with other New Zealand organisations here in the UK to do what we can to provide assistance/support and fundraising for the devastated community in Christchurch. We have a page dedicated to everything going on to help with the earthquake, please click the button below to go direct to our extensive listing of places to Donate, Fundraising events, Emergency Assistance and Information.
Last Updated on Tuesday, 15 March 2011 21:00
Christchurch Earthquake Memorial Service Time Change
To assist people wanting to go to both the Crusaders vs Sharks game at Twickenham on the 27th March and the Memorial, the High Commission has moved the time for the Official Quake Memorial Service at Westminster Abbey to 12pm on the same day.
The New Zealand Business Women's Network and the New Zealand Community in London are thinking of those affected by the massive earthquake in Christchurch. News of relief funds, sources for donation and fundraisers will be posted as they come to hand.
The New Zealand High Commission in London have issued the following statement regarding New Zealands Official Memorial:
"Christchurch Earthquake Memorial Service – 27 March 2011
A Christchurch Earthquake Memorial Service for the victims of the February 22 Earthquake will be held in London at Westminster Abbey, on Sunday 27 March 2011.
Due to the high levels of interest from members of the New Zealand community in the UK in attending the Memorial, the High Commission will run a ballot for tickets to attend.
The service will begin at 12pm on Sunday 27 March. It will also be broadcast into St Margaret’s Church, which stands within the grounds of Westminster Abbey.
Over 2,500 tickets will be balloted for:
- seats in Westminster Abbey
- standing space in Westminster Abbey
- seats in St Margaret’s Church.
The ballot will open on Monday 14 March at 0900, and will close on Friday 18 March at 1700. Ballot applications can be made on an individual, couple or per family basis. Visit www.nzembassy.com/uk to apply.
Applicants will be notified by email on Tuesday 22 March if they have been successful or not. Tickets will then be dispatched by Royal Mail to UK based addresses. Entry to the service will be by ticket only. Security requires that all ticket holders must carry photo ID.
We regret that we cannot consider any applications for tickets after the ballot has closed."
Below is a constantly updated list of Fundraisers, Donation options and Earthquake Information Websites compiled by our team:
- We are now actively encouraging people in the UK to donate via the Official High Commission's site. The New Zealand Government has launched an appeal to help the people of Christchurch and the Canterbury region during this time of great need. The Christchurch Earthquake Appeal is a Charitable Trust held with the Charities Aid Foundation. CAF is a charity established under English law and is registered at the Charity Commission under charity registration number 268369. Residents in the United Kingdom can make txt donations of £3 and £5 to the following numbers: £3 - txt earthquake to 70303 -or- £5 - txt earthquake to 70500. For Credit/Debit Card Donations see the High Commissions http://www.nzembassy.com/united-kingdom/news/christchurch-earthquake-appeal-donate-now
- Donate to St Johns. http://www.donatechristchurch.co.nz/
- The Salvation Army; Online at their site; or by post: The Salvation Army, PO Box 27001, Marion Square, Wellington, 6141. Mark correspondence: "Canterbury Earthquake Appeal".
- Any ANZ Bank: Account number 01-1839-0188939-00.
- Any National Bank: Account number 06-0869-0548507-00.
- Any BNZ Bank: Account number: 02-0500-0982004-000
- Any ASB: Account number 12-3205-0146808-00
- Canterbury RSPCA http://www.spcacanterbury.
org.nz/ - they have set up a special fund for all the pets who have been affected by the quake and are also calling for people who can take in pets of people who have lost their homes or left the city.
- For further information see Kea New Zealands Website.
- Environment Canterbury's earthquake site at http://canterburyearthquake.org.nz/
- For people enquiring about family from outside New Zealand should call +64 7 850 2199
- Google have set up a Person Finder app to register or search for loved ones.
- The New Zealand High Commission have all official information.
Fundraisers - check our updated Calendar for events by date
- www.justgiving.com/welovechch This campaign is specifically designed to target people living in the UK who probably wouldn’t donate to the Christchurch earthquake appeal without an incentive for them to win (ie. not NZ’s who should donate directly). So, the organisers rallied up thousands of pounds worth of prizes and the We Love CHCH raffle was born. Every £10 donation = 1 entry into our prize draw.
- Kilimanjaro Challenge - A group of Kiwis are taking on the challenge of climbing Mt Kilimanjaro, Africa highest Mountain, in August 2011 to help raise money for the Christchurch Earthquake Fund. All this with the aim of raising $5895 (the height of kilimanjaro in metres). All money donated will go directly to the Red Cross Christchurch Earthquake Appeal. If you would like to be part of the NZ Kilimanjaro expedition - please email: Chris Flack at email@example.com
- 16 year old Dylan Garrod has designed a swim cap that he is selling "ANYWHERE in the world" for NZ$15. Visit Reliefcap.com to order and check out the design here
- Weta Workshop are auctioning items on Ebay with all proceeds going to the NZ Red Cross Christchurch earthquake appeal. These items are signed by Sir Peter Jackson, Richard Taylor or Greg Broadmore. To bid, visit the site here
- Glen Eden Intermediate School students have made a 2.5 minute film launching All Red and Black Day International. They are asking New Zealand’s media to encourage all kiwis to send their film to friends, family and colleagues overseas. Released today, their clip asks the schoolchildren of the world to organize their own All Red and Black Days in support of the New Zealand Red Cross 2011 Earthquake Appeal. They already have promises from kids in Australia, Poland, Austria and England to make this happen in their schools and an Australian business man has pledged $50,000. All appropriate licences have been approved and the film is free for mass distribution. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUQ0M4klAKY Help spread the news.
- Kiwi wine makers Felton Rd are selling all their UK/EU stock in warehouse to raise Earthquake funds. That's potentially $50,000. Head here to take up their generous offer. http://www.feltonroad.co.nz/buy-wine/united-kingdom/
- Naked Wines and New Zealand Wine Growers have teamed up and are offering a mystery six-pack of wine for £49.99 with all proceeds going to the quake fund. They are also challenging importers and winemakers of NZ wine to donate a case or two to keep the stocks replenished. More details at the naked wines website.
- The Kiwi Art House Gallery, Cuba St, Wellington is running an online auction of paintings donated by three noted Wellington artists, George Thompson, Phil Dickson and Vincent Duncan with all proceeds going to the Christchurch Earthquake Fund. Gallery site and more details here. A great opportunity to own a piece of 'home' and make a contribution. At this stage the auction closes this Saturday 5 March but may be extended.
- UK social enterprise company Abela Publishing is republishing a range of out of print books and donating £3 from each book. CEO John Halsted is a New Zealander and his wife comes from Christchurch. Books include Sir George Grey's Polynesian Mythology and Ancient Traditional History of the New Zealanders and The Legends of Maui by W.D. Westervelt along with eight other titles. Abela Publishing can be found here.
Kia Kaha Clothing - Kia Kaha Clothing have released a limited range of Christchurch Appeal Tees, all of the proceeds from the sale of these tees will go directly to the Red cross earthquake appeal. http://kiakaha.co.nz/category.
- MusicHype have gathered a six hour collection of Kiwi music and it's yours to download after making a minimum $5 donation to Paypal. All music tracks were donated by the bands. All funds (less Paypal fees) go to the NZ Red Cross appeal. Check out the MusicHype site and read the FAQs before making a purchase. Hint: you don't have to sign up to their membership to donate and receive the tracks.
- Trademe is running a forum for emergency accommodation/transport/labour volunteers and lost pets
- A Facebook group has been setup for Emergency Accommodation - particularly see the discussion board.
- Air New Zealand has confirmed compassionate international fares for immediate family wishing to travel to or from Christchurch. These fares are available for immediate family only, and can be booked via the Air New Zealand Call Centre. All long haul fares to Christchurch, NZD400 one way (plus tax). Click Here for more Info.
Also if anyone has lost loved ones or needs support or knows of any London kiwis in need please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org